If are overweight or obese and searching online for ways to lose weight, you are at the right place.
Body mass index chart for adults
1 NYC weight loss step 1
Before you start losing weight in New York City, first understand where you stand. Start with knowing your body mass index for which you can use a free tool online
Free online BMI tool
- If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the underweight range.
- If your BMI is 18.5 to <25, it falls within the normal.
- If your BMI is 25.0 to <30, it falls within the overweight range.
- If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obese range.
- Class 1: BMI of 30 to < 35
- Class 2: BMI of 35 to < 40
- Class 3: BMI of 40 or higher. Class 3 obesity is sometimes categorized as “extreme” or “severe” obesity.
2 NYC weight loss step 2
Understand the true cause of your weight gain
What causes obesity & overweight?
A number of factors can play a role in weight gain. These include diet, lack of exercise, factors in a person’s environment, and genetics.
Metabolic factors – insulin resistance causing weight
Affecting about 1/3rd of the US population, insulin resistance is very common and leads to central obesity or belly fat. Also called insulin resistance syndrome, this condition increases inflammation in the body leading to increased risk of diabetes, heart disease and many other disorders including some cancers. However, the diagnosis of insulin resistance is fairly simple. Use this free W8MD tool called insulin resistance calculator to find out if you are insulin resistant.
Food and Activity
People gain weight when they eat more calories than they burn through activity. This imbalance is the greatest contributor to weight gain.
The world around us influences our ability to maintain a healthy weight. For example:
- Not having area parks, sidewalks, and affordable gyms makes it hard for people to be physically active.
- Oversized food portions increase Americans’ calorie intake, making even more physical activity necessary to maintain a healthy weight.
- Some people don’t have access to supermarkets that sell affordable healthy foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Food advertising encourages people to buy unhealthy foods, such as high-fat snacks and sugary drinks.
Research shows that genetics plays a role in obesity.
Genes also may contribute to a person’s susceptibility to weight gain.
Health Conditions and Medications
3 NYC weight loss step 3
4. Understand what works and what does not work for losing weight in New York City
Consult with a trained and experienced weight loss doctor in New York City to lose weight fast and safe with insurance