What is Body Mass Index?
How is Body Mass Index calculated?
Although BMI can be used for most men and women, it does have some limits:
- It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
- It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle.
Measuring waist circumference helps screen for possible health risks that come with overweight and obesity. If most of your fat is around your waist rather than at your hips, you’re at a higher risk for heart disease and type 2 diabetes. This risk goes up with a waist size that is greater than 35 inches for women or greater than 40 inches for men. To correctly measure your waist, stand and place a tape measure around your middle, just above your hipbones. Measure your waist just after you breathe out.
Children grow at different rates at different times, so it is not always easy to tell if a child is overweight. BMI charts for children compare their height and weight to other children of their same sex and age.
For children ages 2 to19, those who are at or above the 85th percentile are considered overweight. Those who are at or above the 95th percentile are considered obese.
Body mass index chart for adults
Body Mass Index frequently asked questions
- Is 24 BMI good or bad?
- What is the normal BMI?
- How do you get an accurate BMI?
- Is BMI accurate for everyone?
- What should your BMI be if you are 5 7?
- Is a BMI of 27 good or bad?
- How much should a 5 3 female weigh?
- What is a good body fat percentage?
- What is overweight for a 13 year old?
- How accurate is BMI if you are muscular?
- How good is BMI as an indicator of health?
- Is the BMI outdated?
- How much should I weigh for my age and height?
- What should your BMI be if you are 5 2?
- How can I lose tummy fat fast?
- How can I lose 15 pounds quickly?
- What is my BMI if I weigh 160?
- How can you calculate your body fat?