Weight scalePost gastric bypass surgery weight regain
Bariatric surgery is one of the many options for losing weight, especially for those that have failed non-invasive measures to lose weight. However, some people that have undergone gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy may not lose satisfactory amount of weight or regain the weight after initially losing weight. Let us examine the topic of weight regain after bariatric surgery.
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) is one of the commonly performed bariatric surgical procedures for weight loss. Although RYGB is an effective procedure, it has been estimated that 15%–35% of patients will not achieve satisfactory weight loss (≥50% excess weight loss) or will experience significant weight regain (gaining of ≥15% of the maximal weight initially lost) according to a study.
In this study, they not only looked at post surgery weight regain, but also quality of life issues after surgery, especially with weight regain. What they found in the study is very interesting – one, they found that up to 73% of patients regained some of the weight back after surgery and two, they study also found that even with some of the weight regain, these patients that had gastric bypass had poor quality of life comparable to those that never had surgery but were in much higher weight group such as those with morbid obesity. In other words, these patients might be at a lower BMI after surgery, but their quality of life is worse compared to the same BMI patients from control group that never had surgery.
Some questions related to post gastric bypass weight re-gain
- Are you wondering what percentage of gastric sleeve regain weight?
- Are you searching for gastric bypass revision surgery?
- lose regain after gastric bypass
- losing weight 10 years after gastric bypass
If you had bariatric surgery, lost and regained some or all of the weight back, can you try medical weight loss?
Yes. Gastric bypass surgery is not a contra-indication for use of any of the non-surgical options to lose weight. In fact, non-surgical weight loss measures can be used irrespective of bariatric surgery status and can help either before, during and after bariatric surgery as surgical and non-surgical measures for weight loss compliment each other.
What to do if you regain weight 5 years after gastric bypass surgery?
Gaining weight back after gastric sleeve. What can I do?
There are many non-surgical options available for losing weight. In consultation with a weight loss physician, consider all the non-surgical options such as Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD), FDA approved prescription weight loss medications, nutritional counseling, increased physical activity, lifestyle modification etc. to name a few.
W8MD weight loss team
Have you gained all weight back after gastric sleeve and need help?
W8MD can help. We see a significant number of post bariatric surgery patients in all of our locations either immediately after gastric bypass or sleeve to continue losing weight with our nutritional support and guidance or after they have gained some of the weight back after a few years. Remember that losing weight is only one part of the journey – the bigger part being maintaining it once you have lost.
- Pronounced WeightMD, our state of the art W8MD physician medical weight loss, sleep, holistic and aesthetic medicine programs can help you not only to lose weight, and sleep better but also look your best!
- Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients.
- W8MD’s insurance weight loss program is unique in many ways with a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to weight loss. The center’s team of practitioners are among the most qualified, dedicated and hospitable professionals in the industry. Learn more…
Frequently asked questions post gastric bypass surgery weight regain
- What is Candy Cane syndrome?
- What is the 5 day pouch test?
- What is the 48 hour pouch reset?
- Why am I gaining weight after VSG?
- Does gastric bypass shorten life span?
- Does gastric bypass change your metabolism?
- Why do gastric bypass patients regain weight?
- How do you reset a pouch after gastric bypass?
- Can your stomach stretch after gastric bypass?
- Do you lose more weight with bypass or sleeve?
- Can water stretch stomach after gastric sleeve?
- How can I avoid weight gain after bariatric surgery?
- What happens if you eat too much after gastric bypass?
- Is it possible to not lose weight after gastric bypass?
- How many calories a day do you eat after gastric bypass?
- What percentage of gastric bypass patients regain weight?
- How much weight do you lose after gastric bypass revision?
- What are the long term side effects of gastric bypass surgery?
- How much weight do you lose the first month after gastric bypass?
- How many ounces can your stomach hold after gastric sleeve surgery?