Snoring is a sound made when a person’s upper airway is partially obstructed leading to the vibration of the tissues due to faster movement of air through a narrow pathway.
What causes snoring?
Snoring is caused by many factors leading to partial obstruction of the upper airway such as being overweight or obese, tongue falling backwards, certain central nervous system depressants.
What are the risk factors for snoring?
Snoring can be genetic or acquired. Acquired snoring is related to modifiable risk factors such as weight.
sleep disorders and weight gain
Can snoring be a sign of sleep apnea?
Although not everyone that snores has sleep apnea, a significant portion of those that snore can have sleep apnea. This is true especially if they have other symptoms of sleep apnea such as excessive daytime sleepiness, nocturia, or non-restorative sleep.
Should I be concerned about snoring?
Since snoring is a sign of something more serious such as obstructive sleep apnea, you should consider getting evaluated by a sleep medicine physician to see if you have sleep apnea.
How do I know if my snoring is a symptom of sleep apnea?
The only way to tell if your snoring is sign of sleep apnea is to actually get tested for sleep apnea with a sleep study.
How do you investigate snoring to see if it is primary snoring or a sign of sleep apnea?
A home sleep study or in lab sleep study are recommended if you snore and have other symptoms that indicate hypersomnia.
How do you treat snoring?
Snoring sleep apnea depends on whether it is leading to other signs and symptoms such as being sleepy tired during the day. The treatment options include positional therapy, a dental device for snoring such as nocturnal mandibular repositioning device, or provent nasal strips.
W8MD’s weight loss team
Is snoring curable?
Cure for snoring is possible and depends on the underlying risk factor modification such as weight loss or correction of posterior pharyngeal crowding.
Snoring related terms
- snoring meaning
- snoring home remedies
- how to fix loud snoring
- snoring remedies that work
- how to stop snoring immediately
- what causes snoring in females
- woman snoring loudly
How can W8MD help?
Sleep Medicine Program uses state of the art technology including the convenient home sleep studies or in lab sleep diagnostic studies to diagnose and treat over 80 different sleep disorders including sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome, insomnia to name a few. Learn more…
Frequently asked questions regarding snoring
- Can u die from snoring?
- Do skinny people snore?
- Can Sleep Apnea kill you?
- What is snoring a sign of?
- Does stress cause snoring?
- Is there a cure for snoring?
- Why can’t I hear myself snore?
- Can snoring damage your throat?
- Is snoring a sign of bad health?
- Can snoring be a sign of cancer?
- Does snoring get worse with age?
- Why is my snoring getting worse?
- Why am I snoring all of a sudden?
- What stage of sleep do you snore?
- Do anti snore pillows really work?
- Why do I snore when I’m exhausted?
- How do I stop my throat from snoring?
- What is the best anti snoring device?
- Is snoring a normal part of sleeping?
- What is the best method to stop snoring?
- Why do you snore some nights and not others?