Weight loss can help
People with type 2 diabetes may be able to control their condition by losing weight through diet and exercise.
They may also need to inject insulin or take medicine along with continuing to follow a healthy eating pattern and being physically active on a regular basis.
Type 2 diabetes
What are the symptoms of diabetes?
Symptoms of diabetes include
- increased thirst and urination
- increased hunger
- feeling tired
- blurred vision
- numbness or tingling in the feet or hands
- sores that do not heal
- unexplained weight loss
What causes type 2 diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes is caused by several factors, including
What health problems can people with diabetes develop?
- heart disease and stroke
- nerve damage
- kidney disease
- foot problems
- eye disease
- gum disease and other dental problems
- sexual and bladder problems
Many people with type 2 diabetes also have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Losing weight if you are overweight or obese can improve NAFLD. Diabetes is also linked to other health problems such as sleep apnea, depression, some types of cancer, and dementia.
What can you do to lower risk of diabetes?
- Lose weight if you are overweight, and keep it off. You may be able to prevent or delay diabetes by losing 5 to 7 percent of your current weight.1 For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds, your goal would be to lose about 10 to 14 pounds.
- Move more. Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity, such as walking, at least 5 days a week. If you have not been active, talk with your health care professional about which activities are best. Start slowly and build up to your goal.
- Eat healthy foods. Eat smaller portions to reduce the amount of calories you eat each day and help you lose weight. Choosing foods with less fat is another way to reduce calories. Drink water instead of sweetened beverages.
Children and diabetes type 2
Children and adolescents who are overweight may also be at risk to develop type 2 diabetes.
Frequently asked questions
- Is 150 mg dL high glucose?
- Can Type 2 diabetes go away if you lose weight?
- What happens to your body when you have type 2 diabetes?
- Can Type 2 diabetes turn to type 1 diabetes?
- Is 150 fasting blood sugar bad?
- Is blood sugar of 140 high?
- How long can you live with type 2 diabetes?
- How long will it take to reverse Type 2 diabetes?
- How much water should a diabetic drink?
- Is type 2 diabetes a death sentence?
- What are the 3 most common symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes?
- Can Diabetes Type 2 Be Cured?
- Can Type 2 Be Cured?
- What is worse type1 or type 2 diabetes?
- Can walking cure diabetes?