Why USDA’s Food Pyramid Was a Disaster that Contributed to the Rise of Obesity!
In May 2011, the USDA released a graphic called “My Plate” to help people choose what foods to eat instead of the “Food Pyramid”.
Failed Food Pyramid
The useless and misleading food pyramid, which has been confusing consumers for over 40 years, has advocated a philosophy of eating more simple grains, grain based products such as white breads, rice, pasta etc. and other less “fatty” foods without differentiating between simple and complex carbohydrates, and not recognizing the importance of adequate protein.
Hunters and gatherers
As we evolved as Hunters and Gatherers, our bodies are designed to eat a lot of protein along with complex carbohydrates that come from certain low glycemic fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
Unfortunately, consuming a lot of the grain based “simple carbohydrates” such as breads, potatoes, sugary beverages, although low in fat, can lead to a phenomenon called “Insulin Resistance”.
Affecting up to one in every 3 Americans, Insulin Resistance is very common and can lead to difficulty losing weight, pre-diabetes, or type II diabetes, heart disease and other long term health problems. While the new My plate tries to address some of these issues, it still does not provide any specific guidance on the glycemic index of foods which plays an important role in pathogenesis of insulin resistance.
Food pyramid related frequently asked questions
- What is the pyramid diet?
- What food category is eggs?
- Is the food pyramid outdated?
- Does America have a food guide?
- Why was the food pyramid created?
- What are the benefits of MyPlate?
- What Every meal should consist of?
- What is the food pyramid called now?
- Why does my pyramid work as a symbol?
- When did food pyramid change to MyPlate?
- Why did the USDA change the food pyramid?
- Why is my plate better than the food pyramid?
- What are the 6 food groups in the food pyramid?
- How are MyPyramid and the USDA food guide helpful?
- How many nutrients does the body need for good health?
- What is the difference between the old and new food pyramid?
- Why is it helpful that the new nutrition graphic is shaped like a table setting?