Dietary supplements are products such as vitamins, minerals, aminoacids, herbs, botanicals, etc that are intended to supplement a diet.
Any product is a dietary supplement (other than tobacco) if it is:
- is intended to supplement the diet;
- contains one or more dietary ingredients (including vitamins; minerals;
- herbs or other botanicals; amino acids; and other substances) or their constituents;
- is intended to be taken by mouth as a pill, capsule, tablet, or liquid; and
- is labeled on the front panel as being a dietary supplement.
What are the benefits of dietary supplements?
Some supplements can help assure that you get enough of the vital substances the body needs to function; others may help reduce the risk of disease. But supplements should not replace complete meals which are necessary for a healthful diet – so, be sure you eat a variety of foods as well.
Are there any risks in taking supplements?
Yes. Many supplements contain active ingredients that have strong biological effects in the body. This could make them unsafe in some situations and hurt or complicate your health. For example, the following actions could lead to harmful – even life-threatening – consequences.
Using supplements with medicines (whether prescription or over-the-counter)
Substituting supplements for prescription medicines
Some Common Dietary Supplements
- Fish Oil
- Glucosamine and/or
- Chondroitin Sulphate
- Vitamin D
- St. John’s Wort
- Saw Palmetto
- Green Tea
* Are multivitamins a waste?
* Is dietary supplements safe?
* What dietary supplements mean?
* What do dietary supplements do?
* What is the best weight loss pill?
* Which brand of multivitamins is best?
* How do I know if a supplement is safe?
* How are dietary supplements regulated?
* What is a dietary supplement definition?
* Do dietary supplements need FDA approval?
* Do dietary supplements have side effects?
* Is it good to take a multivitamin everyday?
* What are the risks of taking multivitamins?
* Do dietary supplements help you lose weight?
* What is the number 1 supplement in the world?
* What are some examples of dietary supplements?
* How do I know if a supplement is FDA approved?
* What are the most popular dietary supplements?
* What is the highest rated supplement in the world?
* Should I take vitamins in the morning or at night?
* What are some benefits of taking dietary supplements?