Weight loss can be a challenging journey for many individuals, and sometimes it requires more than just diet and exercise. In recent years, medications have emerged as a viable option for weight loss. One such medication is Ozempic, a prescription drug that helps with weight loss in addition to managing diabetes.
At the W8MD weight loss centers, Ozempic or the weight loss version of the same called wegovy, is prescribed for individuals who are struggling to lose weight through traditional methods. Here's everything you need to know about Ozempic and how it can help with weight loss.
What is Ozempic?
- Ozempic is a brand name for the generic drug semaglutide, which is used to manage type 2 diabetes. It belongs to a class of drugs known as glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. It works by mimicking the effects of GLP-1, a hormone that increases insulin secretion and slows down the digestion of food, leading to a feeling of fullness and reduced appetite.
How does Ozempic work for weight loss?
- Ozempic works for weight loss by reducing appetite and increasing feelings of fullness, which leads to a reduction in calorie intake. It also slows down the digestion of food, which helps to reduce the rise in blood sugar levels after meals. This reduces the likelihood of storing excess calories as fat in the body.
- In clinical trials, Ozempic has been shown to help individuals lose significant amounts of weight. In one trial, individuals who took Ozempic lost an average of 13.5% of their body weight, compared to 2.3% in the placebo group. Another trial found that individuals who took Ozempic lost an average of 5.6% of their body weight, compared to 1.9% in the placebo group.How is Ozempic prescribed at W8MD?
- At W8MD, Ozempic is prescribed to individuals who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher, or a BMI of 27 or higher with a weight-related health condition such as high blood pressure or diabetes. The medication is administered as a once-weekly injection.
- Before prescribing Ozempic, the team at W8MD conducts a thorough medical evaluation to ensure that the medication is safe and appropriate for the individual. They also work closely with the individual to develop a personalized weight loss plan that includes diet and exercise.
What are the side effects of Ozempic?
- As with any medication, Ozempic can cause side effects. The most common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, and constipation. These side effects typically go away after a few weeks of taking the medication. More serious side effects, such as pancreatitis and kidney problems, are rare but possible.
- At W8MD, individuals who take Ozempic are closely monitored for side effects and any other health concerns. The team is available to answer any questions or concerns that individuals may have about the medication.
Is Ozempic right for you?
- If you are struggling to lose weight through traditional methods such as diet and exercise, Ozempic may be an option for you. At W8MD, the team can evaluate your medical history and weight loss goals to determine whether Ozempic is appropriate for you.
- In addition to Ozempic, W8MD offers a comprehensive weight loss program that includes medical weight loss, nutritional counseling, and behavioral therapy. The program is designed to help individuals achieve long-term weight loss success and improve their overall health and wellbeing.
- Pennsylvania weight loss
- New York weight loss
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.
W8MD has several locations for your convenience:
- Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500
- W8MD's Weight loss diet - Recipes (WikiMD)
- Links: Weight loss | Sleep medicine | Medical spa | IV nutrition | Success stories |
- Diet pills: Phentermine, Phen/Topiramate, Wegovy, Saxenda, Mounjaro, Contrave, Plenity, Diethylpropion, Phendimetrazine
- Resources: W8MD diet | Keto diet guide | Free Ebook | 12 Ways to lose weight quickly | 8 Amazing Weeks