Sleep medicine is a relatively new medical specialty focused on helping individuals who experience difficulties with sleep and sleep-related problems or sleep disorders.
What are sleep disorders?
A sleep disorder refers to any disturbance or disturbance in the normal sleep pattern of an individual that affects the quality of life. There is a wide range of sleep disorders, including difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep, excessive sleepiness or narcolepsy, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, sleepwalking, and other uncommon sleep behaviors.
Importance of sleep
Sleep is a vital aspect of human life and plays an important role in maintaining physical, mental and emotional well-being. When sleep is disrupted, it can have a major impact on daily life and overall health. People who suffer from sleep disorders often feel fatigued, irritable and have trouble focusing during the day. Additionally, sleep disorders can lead to serious medical conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and depression.
Diagnosis of sleep disorders
Diagnosis of sleep disorders is made by a sleep medicine specialist, often after a comprehensive evaluation including a medical and sleep history, physical examination, and may include a sleep study also known as a polysomnography or home sleep study.
There are various treatments for sleep disorders, which include lifestyle modifications, behavioral changes, and medical treatment. Lifestyle modifications such as developing a consistent sleep routine, avoiding caffeine and alcohol before bedtime, and creating a relaxing sleep environment can help improve sleep. For behavioral changes, cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) is an effective treatment for individuals with insomnia.
For those with sleep apnea, treatment can include lifestyle changes such as weight loss and positional therapy, and use of a CPAP machine. Narcolepsy is a neurological disorder that affects the control of sleep and wakefulness and is treated with medications such as modafinil and sodium oxybate. Restless legs syndrome is a neurological disorder characterized by uncomfortable sensations in the legs and an irresistible urge to move them. It is treated with medications such as dopamine agonists and gabapentin enacarbil.
W8MD's Sleep Medicine Program
W8MD's Sleep Medicine Program uses state of the art technology including the convenient home sleep studies or in lab sleep diagnostic studies to diagnose and treat over 80 different sleep disorders including sleep apnea, insomnia, narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome to name a few. Sleep medicine services:
- Sleep apnea testing including home sleep studies
- Restless legs syndrome
- Circadian rhythm disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Convenient home sleep studies
- Accept most insurances
- Same week appointments
- Accept most insurances
- Board certified sleep doctors
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.
W8MD has several locations for your convenience:
- Philadelphia, PA: Philadelphia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 1718 Welsh Road, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19115. Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Wayne, PA: King of Prussia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 175 Strafford Avenue, Ste 1, lower level, Wayne, PA 19087 Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500
- Cherry Hill, NJ: (Coming soon), tele visits available. Location: 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 Contact:(215)676-2334'
- Links: Weight loss | Sleep medicine | Medical spa | IV nutrition | Success stories |
- Diet pills: Phentermine, Phen/Topiramate, Wegovy, Saxenda, Mounjaro, Contrave, Plenity, Diethylpropion, Phendimetrazine
- Resources: W8MD diet | Keto diet guide | Free Ebook | 12 Ways to lose weight quickly | 8 Amazing Weeks
This is a short summary article. For quality control, we do not encourage or allow strangers to edit the content.