There are many factors that can contribute to weight gain in women.
Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity Overweight and obesity are common in the US, with more than 2 in 3 women over 20 being affected. Black or African-American and Hispanic or Latina women have a higher prevalence, as well as lesbian and bisexual women.
Factors that may make it more likely to gain weight include family background, metabolism, age, trauma, certain medications, sleep patterns, and more. If you are worried about your weight, talk to your doctor or nurse who can provide recommendations on diet and physical activity and help address any medication side effects.
Causes of weight gain - women
Some of the most common causes include:
- Hormonal changes: Metabolic factors such as insulin resistance, or the female hormonal changes associated with menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause can affect weight. For example, changes in estrogen levels can lead to an increase in body fat.
- Poor diet: A diet that is high in calorie-dense, processed foods, and low in fiber, fruits, and vegetables can contribute to weight gain.
- Lack of physical activity: A sedentary lifestyle can lead to weight gain, as the body burns fewer calories when it is not moving.
- Stress: Stress can cause weight gain by triggering the release of cortisol, a hormone that leads to an increase in appetite and fat storage.
- Genetics: Weight gain can be influenced by genetics, as certain genes can make it easier for some people to gain weight.
- Medications: Certain medications, such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and corticosteroids, can cause weight gain.
- Age: As people age, their metabolism naturally slows down, making it easier to gain weight.
How to lose weight
To determine if you have overweight or obesity, use the Body Mass Index (BMI). This is a tool to estimate body fat and can be calculated by entering your height and weight into a BMI calculator provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, while a BMI of 30 or more is considered obesity. However, note that BMI is not always accurate, especially for people with a lot of muscle. A better indicator of obesity is measuring your waist circumference. Women with a waist circumference larger than 35 inches are at a higher risk for health problems caused by obesity.
How can W8MD help?
- W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa is a weight loss program that utilizes a combination of diet, exercise, sleep, and other lifestyle modifications to help people lose weight. Here are some tips for women who want to use this program to lose weight:
- Follow a healthy diet: W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa encourages a balanced and nutritious diet that is low in calories, saturated fat, and added sugars. This can include eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains.
- Get enough sleep: Adequate sleep is an important factor in weight loss, as it helps regulate hormones that control appetite and metabolism. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night.
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity can help increase calorie burn and promote weight loss. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise, such as brisk walking, cycling, or swimming, five days per week.
- Reduce stress: Stress can disrupt hormones and increase cravings for unhealthy foods, making it difficult to stick to a healthy diet. Engage in stress-reducing activities, such as yoga, meditation, or deep breathing exercises.
- Avoid unhealthy habits: Unhealthy habits, such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and a sedentary lifestyle, can negatively impact weight loss efforts.
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.
W8MD has several locations for your convenience:
- Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500
- W8MD's Weight loss diet - Recipes (WikiMD)
- Links: Weight loss | Sleep medicine | Medical spa | IV nutrition | Success stories |
- Diet pills: Phentermine, Phen/Topiramate, Wegovy, Saxenda, Mounjaro, Contrave, Plenity, Diethylpropion, Phendimetrazine
- Resources: W8MD diet | Keto diet guide | Free Ebook | 12 Ways to lose weight quickly | 8 Amazing Weeks
This is a short summary article. For quality control, we do not encourage or allow strangers to edit the content.