From W8MD weight loss and sleep centers
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Overweight and obesity are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different medical conditions. While both involve having excess body fat, the severity and definition of the conditions vary.

Belly of an obese teenage boy.jpg


Overweight refers to having an excessive amount of body weight, which includes muscle, bone, fat, and water. The body mass index (BMI) is a commonly used method to determine if someone is overweight. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, while a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.


Obesity, on the other hand, is a more severe condition that is defined as having an excessive amount of body fat. It is a complex medical condition that is often caused by a combination of genetic, environmental, and behavioral factors. Obesity is associated with a number of health risks, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and certain types of cancer.

Waist circumference

Another way to determine if someone is obese is through waist circumference measurement. A waist circumference of 40 inches or more in men and 35 inches or more in women is considered a sign of obesity. This measurement is important because excess fat in the abdominal area is associated with a higher risk of health problems.

Classification of obesity

Obesity is classified based on body mass index (BMI), which is calculated by dividing a person's weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters. Here is how the classification of obesity is based on BMI:

  • Underweight: BMI less than 18.5
  • Normal: BMI between 18.5 and 24.9
  • Overweight: BMI between 25.0 and 29.9
  • Obesity: BMI 30.0 or higher

Obesity can further be divided into 3 categories based on the severity:

Obesity classes

  • Class 1: BMI of 30 to 34.9
  • Class 2: BMI of 35 to 39.9
  • Class 3: BMI 40 or higher (also referred to as extreme or severe obesity)

Prevalence of Obesity in the US

According to data from the year 2015-2016, around 39.8% of the adult population in the United States are considered to be clinically obese. Additionally, 31.8% of the adult population is considered overweight, but not obese, bringing the total to 71.6% of the adult population considered overweight or obese.

How W8MD Can Help

W8MD's insurance weight loss program provides a comprehensive approach to help individuals lose weight and manage obesity. Our program includes:

  • Consultations with experienced providers who specialize in treating obesity and its associated conditions, as well as sleep disorders.
  • Education on nutrition, including information about metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, proper daily intake of low glycemic foods, and the right times to eat throughout the day.
  • Personalized weight loss plans tailored to each individual's needs and goals.
  • The goal of losing 2-4 pounds a week through a nutritious, low-glycemic food plan that is easy to prepare and pre-portioned.
  • With a commitment to the program, individuals can expect to achieve their desired weight loss results through W8MD.

W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers

W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.

Book appointments

W8MD weight loss doctors


W8MD location(s):

  1. Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500