Setmelanotide is a medication that has recently been approved for the treatment of obesity caused by certain genetic conditions. It is a melanocortin-4 receptor agonist that helps to regulate hunger and satiety signals, which can lead to weight loss in patients with specific genetic mutations.
Setmelanotide was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in November 2020 for the treatment of obesity caused by proopiomelanocortin (POMC) deficiency, proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 1 (PCSK1) deficiency, and leptin receptor (LEPR) deficiency. These genetic mutations can lead to a lack of satiety signals, which can result in overeating and obesity.
In clinical trials, patients with POMC or PCSK1 deficiency who received setmelanotide experienced significant weight loss compared to the placebo group.
In the POMC deficiency trial, patients lost an average of 26.7 pounds over 52 weeks, while in the PCSK1 deficiency trial, patients lost an average of 15.7 pounds over 26 weeks. In the LEPR deficiency trial, however, the drug did not meet its primary endpoint.
Setmelanotide is administered as an injection under the skin, usually once a day.
It is important to note that this medication is not intended for use in patients with obesity due to lifestyle or environmental factors, and it should only be used under the guidance of a healthcare professional who specializes in the treatment of obesity.
As with any medication, setmelanotide can cause side effects, including injection site reactions, nausea, vomiting, and headache. It is important to discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with a healthcare provider before starting treatment.
How can W8MD help?
At W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa centers, our experienced physicians can help evaluate patients for obesity due to genetic factors and determine whether setmelanotide may be an appropriate treatment option. We offer a comprehensive approach to weight loss, including personalized diet plans, exercise recommendations, and medication management. Contact us today to learn more.
- FDA approves first treatment for weight management for people with certain rare genetic conditions. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-treatment-weight-management-people-certain-rare-genetic-conditions. Accessed February 15, 2023.
- Setmelanotide (IMCIVREE) [package insert]. Boston, MA: Rhythm Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2020.
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.
W8MD has several locations for your convenience:
- Philadelphia, PA: Philadelphia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 1718 Welsh Road, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19115. Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Wayne, PA: King of Prussia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 175 Strafford Avenue, Ste 1, lower level, Wayne, PA 19087 Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500
- Cherry Hill, NJ: (Coming soon), tele visits available. Location: 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 Contact:(215)676-2334'
- Links: Weight loss | Sleep medicine | Medical spa | IV nutrition | Success stories |
- Diet pills: Phentermine, Phen/Topiramate, Wegovy, Saxenda, Mounjaro, Contrave, Plenity, Diethylpropion, Phendimetrazine
- Resources: W8MD diet | Keto diet guide | Free Ebook | 12 Ways to lose weight quickly | 8 Amazing Weeks