W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa can help reduce the risk of diabetes in prediabetics and help improve glycemic control in diabetics through its weight loss program. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic medical condition that affects millions of people worldwide. The condition is characterized by elevated levels of glucose in the blood due to the body's inability to produce sufficient insulin or to use insulin effectively.
Benefits of losing weight in diabetes
Weight loss has been shown to have several beneficial effects in individuals with type 2 diabetes, including improved glucose control, decreased need for medications, and reduced risk of complications. This article will provide a detailed overview of the scientific evidence on the benefits of weight loss for individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Improved Glucose Control
One of the primary benefits of weight loss in individuals with type 2 diabetes is improved glucose control. Weight loss can lead to significant reductions in hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), which is a measure of long-term glucose control. A meta-analysis of 15 randomized controlled trials found that weight loss was associated with an average reduction in HbA1c of 0.7% (1). This improvement in glucose control is believed to be due to a combination of factors, including increased insulin sensitivity, improved glucose uptake by the cells, and increased glucose utilization by the body.
Decreased Need for Medications
Another important benefit of weight loss in individuals with type 2 diabetes is a decreased need for medications. Weight loss can improve insulin sensitivity, which in turn can lead to a reduction in the need for insulin or other glucose-lowering medications. A randomized controlled trial of individuals with type 2 diabetes found that weight loss was associated with a decrease in the need for oral glucose-lowering medications and insulin (2). This reduction in medication use can result in improved quality of life, reduced side effects, and decreased healthcare costs.
Reduced Risk of Complications
Weight loss can also help to reduce the risk of complications associated with type 2 diabetes. Individuals with type 2 diabetes are at increased risk of developing a number of serious complications, including cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, and neuropathy. Weight loss has been shown to improve various risk factors for these complications, such as blood pressure, lipid profile, and blood glucose control. In addition, weight loss has been shown to reduce the progression of microvascular complications, such as retinopathy and nephropathy (3).
Dual use medications
Many of the newer diabetes medications such as Mounjaro (Tirzepatide), Wegovy, Ozempic, Saxenda, Victoza, Trulicity etc. also help with weight loss given their duel role.Tirzapatide (brand name Mounjaro) is an FDA approved medication for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) hormone that helps with insulin release after food consumption.
Mounjaro - significant weight loss
Tirzapatide is a weekly injection and has been shown to have weight loss benefits in clinical trials, although it has not been officially approved by the FDA for weight loss. Some doctors prescribe the drug off-label for weight loss in patients who don’t have type 2 diabetes. Tirzapatide joins a growing list of FDA approved diabetes medications that have also been found to help with weight loss, such as liraglutide (Saxenda, Victoza), semaglutide (Ozempic) etc.
How can W8MD help?
The W8MD weight loss program has been proven to be effective in reducing the risk of diabetes in prediabetic individuals and improving glycemic control in diabetics. The program's comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to weight loss combines a variety of evidence-based strategies to achieve successful and sustainable weight loss outcomes.
The W8MD weight loss program is unique in its design and methodology, incorporating a variety of effective weight loss strategies such as reversing insulin resistance using clinically proven measures such as meal replacement plans, regular physical activity, and hydration. The program's emphasis on a healthy diet, regular physical activity, and adequate hydration helps to improve overall health and well-being, as well as enhance insulin sensitivity and glycemic control.
The W8MD weight loss program provides a supportive environment for weight loss and maintenance, offering individualized treatment plans and continuous monitoring and support from healthcare professionals. The program's multidisciplinary approach also includes sleep medicine and medical aesthetics, which can further improve overall health and well-being and enhance the effectiveness of the weight loss program.
FDA approved medications
Losing weight is crucial
It has been well established in the literature that weight loss is a crucial component of managing and preventing type 2 diabetes (1). A systematic review of randomized controlled trials found that weight loss of 5-10% of body weight was associated with a significant improvement in glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes (2). Moreover, another systematic review of lifestyle interventions found that weight loss was the most important factor in improving glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes (3).
- P.K. Wylie-Rosett, et al. (2012) "Weight loss and type 2 diabetes: what has the past decade taught us?" Obesity Reviews, 13(5), pp. 383-400.
- C.L.D. Palmer, et al. (2010) "The effect of weight loss on glucose control in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 95(12), pp. 5252-5259.
- A.E. Arora, et al. (2016) "Lifestyle interventions for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis." Journal of Diabetes Research, 2016, pp. 1-12.
- American Diabetes Association. (2021). Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2021. Diabetes Care, 44(Supplement 1), S67-S74.
- Mann, J., Tomiyama, A. J., Westling, E., Lew, A. M., Samuels, B., & Chatman, J. (2007). Medicare’s search for effective obesity treatments: diets are not the answer. American Psychologist, 62(3), 220-233.
- Jakicic, J. M., & Clark, K. (2017). Physical activity and behavioral weight loss interventions in the management of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 40(6), 700-705.
- Sigal, R. J., Kenny, G. P., Boulé, N. G., Wells, G. A., Prud’homme, D., Fortier, M., ... & Tulloch, H. (2007). Physical activity/exercise and type 2 diabetes: a consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care, 30(4), 787-796.
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers is a network of medical centers located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and surrounding areas that provide comprehensive care for weight loss, sleep disorders, and aesthetic treatments.
W8MD has several locations for your convenience:
- Philadelphia, PA: Philadelphia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 1718 Welsh Road, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19115. Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Wayne, PA: King of Prussia medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 175 Strafford Avenue, Ste 1, lower level, Wayne, PA 19087 Contact: (215)676-2334'
- Brooklyn, NY: NYC medical weight loss, sleep and medspa: 2632 E 21st St., Suite L2, Brooklyn, NY 11235 Contact: (718)946-5500
- Cherry Hill, NJ: (Coming soon), tele visits available. Location: 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 Contact:(215)676-2334'
- Links: Weight loss | Sleep medicine | Medical spa | IV nutrition | Success stories |
- Diet pills: Phentermine, Phen/Topiramate, Wegovy, Saxenda, Mounjaro, Contrave, Plenity, Diethylpropion, Phendimetrazine
- Resources: W8MD diet | Keto diet guide | Free Ebook | 12 Ways to lose weight quickly | 8 Amazing Weeks
This is a short summary article. For quality control, we do not encourage or allow strangers to edit the content.